So you wanna follow Jesus...


“Then a teacher of the law came to him and said, "Teacher, I will follow you wherever you go." Jesus replied, "Foxes have holes and birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has no place to lay his head."” (Mt 8:19-20).

I was telling the guys in my cell group yesterday how much I love to kick back and relax... it's in my flesh. I used to spend hours and days in front of the TV set watching videos and playing video games. Later on I built a studio in the basement because I was doing music production for our band... I used to spend days there.

Knowing how I am now, they were all amazed to hear that. My flesh still desires that, still desires to kick back and relax and go on my own ventures and do my own projects and seek what's nice and comfy and pleasing to my senses, my flesh and my heart.

My faith refuses that tendency with a strict and harsh voice. It's because of the commitment I made to Jesus.

When talking about John the baptist, Jesus said: "What did you go out into the wilderness to see? A reed shaken by the wind? But what did you go out to see? A man clothed in soft garments? Indeed, those who wear soft clothing are in kings’ houses. But what did you go out to see? A prophet? Yes, I say to you, and more than a prophet." (Mt 11:7-9).

Many make the decision to follow Jesus and then do not respect the vows they made. It is not hard to follow Jesus. It's a matter of decision. Jesus says silk clothes and soft mattresses are found in your own palaces and bedrooms. And goes on to ask... What got you out of your comfort zones to come into the desert? Was it softer mattresses and clothes? NO WAY! It was the WORD of God! that His prophet was speaking. It was Jesus!
So you wanna follow Jesus huh? Know this! Unless you get strict with your flesh and deny it, you won't go far...

"Suppose one of you wants to build a tower. Will he not first sit down and estimate the cost to see if he has enough money to complete it? For if he lays the foundation and is not able to finish it, everyone who sees it will ridicule him, saying, 'This fellow began to build and was not able to finish.'” (Lk 17:28-30)

In the book of Joshua, the 2.5 tribes that were to lead the conquest made a commitment to their leader saying: "Whatever you have commanded us we will do, and wherever you send us we will go. Just as we fully obeyed Moses, so we will obey you. Only may the LORD your God be with you as he was with Moses. Whoever rebels against your word and does not obey your words, whatever you may command them, will be put to death. Only be strong and courageous!" (Joshua 1:16-18).

They committed themselves to discipline. they did it to themselves... They were the ones who were going to be put to death in case they disobeyed. They knew their flesh would not allow them to go all the way, so they had to threaten it! And they did it so beautifully!
So you wanna follow Jesus...
Don't say "it's hard"
If you want to go far...
You just have to get rid of the "mattress".

Popular Posts