The Devil's Agents

"War is coming! War in Syria! War in Lebanon! War in the Middle East!"
This is what I hear all day long at work among my colleagues, on the news, in the streets and in society. I hear a worship and a culture of fear. That's what it is. I hear families discussing leaving the country. I hear people rushing to western embassies to apply for visas. I hear sirens of fear.
A family just moved in next door. They are Syrians fleeing the civil war in their country. They rented the apartment for 6 months because they cannot afford to stay for longer and if the situation is not resolved by then, they do not know what to do next. A few weeks ago, while ministering to Syrian refugees in the Bekaa valley, the fear and devastation in the eyes of the youth was so evident. It seemed that the lack of hope had them frozen in time with a state of confusion. It was as if I could see unanswered questions in their eyes, with little hope of satisfaction.
The Bible says: "Even in darkness light dawns for the upright" (Psalm 112:4). The psalmist draws this conclusion after stating that the source of the upright is the fear of the Lord and their delight in keeping His commands:
"Praise the Lord. Blessed are those who fear the Lord, who find great delight in his commands. Their children will be mighty in the land; the generation of the upright will be blessed. Wealth and riches are in their houses, and their righteousness endures forever." (Ps 112:1-3)

To fear God is to adore God with an obsession. I have been frequently persecuted for being extreme in the way I live out my life of faith. Those who accuse me have been victims of fear, insecurity and uncertainty and ironically consider themselves in the right position to judge me.
I have been blessed. Even during the shelling of the 2006 war, I had so much joy in my heart because I was on my way to a retreat with the church and God had promised to bless those who approached with faith. While everyone was trying to avoid bridges because Israeli missiles were targeting them, I was attending church every day of the week and our church building was right next to a bridge.
"Surely the righteous will never be shaken; they will be remembered forever.  They will have no fear of bad news; their hearts are steadfast, trusting in the Lord. Their hearts are secure, they will have no fear; in the end they will look in triumph on their foes." (Ps 112:6-8)
I am not trying to boast, but simply confirming and testifying to an eternal truth which is found in the Bible. In these alarming times, everyone warns us not to go all the way to Bekaa to serve Bedouins and refugees. They consider it foolishness, but in our hearts, we find courage and strength, we find delight in the service and charity we do. We are empowered and lifted up in the service we do to others in need.
"Even in darkness light dawns for the upright, for those who are gracious and compassionate and righteous. Good will come to those who are generous and lend freely, who conduct their affairs with justice [...]They have freely scattered their gifts to the poor, their righteousness endures forever; their horn will be lifted high in honor." (Ps 112:4,5,9)
While the Church is busy evangelizing the lost, serving the needy and reaching out to unreached nations that are hurt and devastated, the enemy will always be there with his "agents" trying to inflict fear. The enemy is defeated. He can never approach the righteous. Our strength is in our hearts and the evidence is in our lives.
"The wicked will see and be vexed, they will gnash their teeth and waste away; the longings of the wicked will come to nothing." (Psalm 112:10)

Popular Posts