Conservative? Or Progressive?

For many years, I have considered myself to be someone who held close to my beliefs. During the past year, I realized that my beliefs are an obstacle to my faith. Let me put that in different words, in order to clarify it further.

Faith, by definition, is being sure of the things that we do not see. Beliefs, on the other hand, are principles, which are based on things we used to be sure of even though they used to be unseen. So the major difference is that belief has to do with an experience of the past, either lived first hand or passed down by previous generations, while faith is a dynamic present experience.

Although I do not discredit entirely the importance of holding on to principles in life, but I do want to suggest that replacing faith with beliefs is a dangerous thing; dangerous, because it can deplete us from the very life that flows into us through the channels of faith.

For many years, I used to be closer to be more of a conservative than a progressive (I mean that not in the political sense but in the way I approach life in general). Lately, I began to see the dangers associated with that mindset. Nature teaches us that there are unchangeable laws, but also demonstrates how creation evolves and life changes on planet earth (I'm not referring to global warming or evolution theory).

In the context of Christianity, many hold on to some beliefs that are obstacles to what God is showing or preparing for the next level. Your yesterday's manna from heaven is no good today. Likewise, your insistence on some sets of beliefs will not get you the spiritual nutrition you so long for. Note that the Bible says that it is BY FAITH that we know how the universe was created by God's Word (Hebrews 11:3), and not by a belief system like the contemporary Christian doctrine, no matter what denomination one is associated with.

I am not suggesting denying fundamental pillars of our faith, such as truths like the Trinity, the incarnation, crucifixion and resurrection. But I am suggesting questioning them and exploring them, in order to allow ourselves to rediscover them in our own context and experience. I believe this will enrich our human experience on earth and expand horizons for coming generations.

Leaving a legacy of faith does not mean indoctrinating others. It means leaving an example of how powerful and fascinating God's design is. It means inspiring others to seek out their own adventure and exploration. Indoctrinating is a result of insecurity. Inspiring is an act of trust. Leaders are those who provide a covering or an atmosphere of trust and security.

I now see that the progressive form of the Christian life is a counter reaction to the man made conservative one. Yes, everybody quotes scripture or the fathers, but each side has its own agenda. Many who are very close to me may feel weird about it, but I am confident in saying this. That being said, I have to admit that I have also struggled with issues with the progressive way, as it may lead many so astray without proper leadership or mentoring, especially when our way of approaching life steps outside of the limits set by God or goes against our identity. The conservative model (conservative as defined by humans) seems safer in the beginning, but is so dangerous a few years or generations down the line.

I rather have freedom plus parenting, than dictatorship. I rather allow people to discover their identities, talents, beliefs and life through faith continuously in an environment that allows it, encourages it, as well as allows people to make mistakes and provides guidance or correction in love. The parable of the prodigal son teaches us that the Father trusts in His identity and let's go of his child when he wanted to take his part of the inheritance and take off with it. It paid off at the end!

I am confident now more than ever before that God has created us in such a fascinating way, that no man made system can replace it. I have tried 'systems'. I can be flexible with all types. I can mingle with the legalist and the liberal. I can be friends with the atheist and the staunch religious. I can hug them, have fights with them, forgive them, laugh with them, whether they accept me or not. I evolve. I learn. I learn to love, to love my friends, to love my enemies, and to bless them. We are called to be light. Light invades new horizons when allowed into new dark spaces.  We are called to expand. By preserving our innocence, we dive in this ocean of life with confidence. THAT is faith. We are not afraid of intimidating and unknown environments, but we have our own source of light. In our freedom, we decide to pick the good, not because we have to, but because we choose to. God is light. We, His children, are also light.



Comments

Popular Posts